Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Kraftmas Day 3 - Vintage Heart Ornaments


Growing up, my family had two Christmas trees in our home. The first tree was the Candy Tree, with candy cane ornaments, ginger bread men, and a garland made of red and green mints. The second tree, where we put our presents was my mom’s Angel Tree. This tree was decorated with white lights, ribbon, and the ever growing collection of angel ornaments that my mom has amassed. Decorating the trees as a family was always one of the highlights of the holidays, especially for my mom, sisters and I.

Even though Eric and I were married a few days before Christmas almost one year ago, we did not have a Christmas tree since we moved in together just days after our wedding. So this year marks the start of our own Christmas tree tradition!

Eric agreed for a vintage/rustic theme for our tree. The idea came from my wedding bouquet, which I have been saving to making into ornaments (coming soon!). We also agreed on using red, brown, cream and gold as our colors since that was our wedding color palate.

What next? Ornaments of course! I set off looking for ideas, and came across these vintage heart ornaments from the Etsy shop of The Paper Girl made from book paper.
















Super cute! And also easy to make into a DIY Christmas tree ornament. Here's how:

What you need:
Christmas carol sheet music
Heart shape template
Cotton balls
Red thread and needle
Red ribbon

First, for the sheet music I simply googled "Christmas carol sheet music" and came up with a ton of images. This is the one I chose from Vintage Feed Sacks:



















As I often do to make my own scrapbook paper, I copied the image into a word document and enlarged it enough to have four images on one paper. I printed 10 sheets so that I could make 20 ornaments, since each ornament was made from two images (one for the front and one for the back). 

I drew my heart template, but you can find a clip art heart in the size you want or even use a heart-shaped cookie cutter as your template if you like. Trace the hearts onto your paper. As you can see below, I traced one heart onto each of the music sheet images.
Next, I cut out the hearts - 40 total hearts so that I had 2 hearts for each ornament.














To put the hearts together, I threaded my needle with red thread, tied the bottom end of the thread in a knot and started with a simple running stitch.
























Sew the pieces together about half-way. Next, I broke apart the cotton balls to make it into the consistency of batting similar to what you would use to stuff a cushion.















I put about two cotton balls into the side of the ornament that was sewn together, and then I continued sewing around the remainder of the heart.

Next, I cut a 6" piece of red satin ribbon, made a loop (like a hook to hang on the tree) and sewed the bottom of the ribbon to the ornament.















And here is my vintage heart ornament!




















No comments:

Post a Comment