Sunday, September 29, 2013

KT Made It: Autumn Coffee Table Centerpiece

Two crafts in one weekend - what a treat! Even more exciting is the fact that I didn't have to go out for supplies for this project since it was made from the left over flowers from my autumn dining room table centerpiece (see here!), an empty soup can, left over scrap book paper, some yarn and old wine corks that my mom gave me for some crafty up-cycling!

What you need:
Wine corks
Knife to cut the corks
Hot glue
Flowers
1 soup can
Decorative scrapbook paper
Mode podge


I started off by cutting each cork into 6-7 slices, trying to make the slices as equal in width as possible. I was not sure how large I was going to make the mat when I first started, but I ended up slicing at least 35 corks. 

I used 7 slices to make a flower shape, with one slice in the middle and 6 slices placed evenly around the center. I hot glued the pieces together, totally to 29 total flowers. 
After a little tinkering, I arranged the flowers in a design so that at least 3 pieces of each flower were touching the pieces around it. Patiently, I hot glued the 29 flowers together


The next step was to make the floral arrangement. I started with my empty soup can. First, I cut two strips of the scrapbook paper, one for the top of the can and one for the bottom. I modge-podged the strips on, first using the modge podge to attach the paper and then going over the top of the paper to it a glazed finish. 

Next, I wrapped my yarn tightly around the center of the can that was not covered with the paper. 

Finally, I arranged the leftover flowers in the can!

And that's my autumn centerpiece for my coffee table! 


2 comments:

  1. What a great use of old corks! Super job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! I'm taking old wine cork donations for more crafts :)

      Delete