Thursday, October 3, 2013

KT Made It: Confetti Wine Glasses

Painted wine glasses are all the rage these days - I see them all over etsy and pintrest in fun colors and designs. So why not try my hand at making some for myself? This is an easy project for anyone looking to upgrade their wine glasses, tumblers, etc. I painted each color individually over the last few days to make sure that each layer of polka dots was dry (and because I couldn't completely justify sitting and doing crafts all morning when I should be studying...its all about balance!).

What you need:
Wine glasses
Glass paint - I used three colors of Folk Art Enamel Acrylic Paint that match our kitchen color scheme
Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls
Paint brush or other round object (pencil, dowel, skewers, etc) to make your polka dots


The first step is to prepare your wine glasses. Wash the glasses with warm water and soap to get them nice and clean. Next, using rubbing alcohol, clean the outside surface of the glasses that you will be painting. (Note - these instructions are on the back of the paint bottles. I'm not crafty enough to make this stuff up!)

For the polka dots, you can layer the colors all on the same plane if you like, but I chose to make a cascading design, so that the cream color was on the top of the glass and overlapped with the red in the middle, which subsequently overlapped with the blue dots on the bottom. To get this effect, I started by making my blue dots on the bottom first. I used an old paint brush and pulled off the head of the brush for a round shape with a flat surface. I made my blue dots all the way around the bottom to about 1/2 of the way up the glass. I let the glasses dry for 24hrs.


The next day, I complete the layer of red dots. I overlapped half of the blue dots with the red and then went up the glass so that only 1/3 of the glass was left without polka dots. Then I let the glasses dry for another 24hrs.
  
And then the next day I did the whole process again with the cream color (so predictable!)
  

Now, before using the glasses, they must be cured. There are two ways to do this.
(1) Air dry for 21 days
(2) Place the glasses in a cold oven. Turn on the oven to 350 degrees. Allow the glasses to bake for 30min. Turn off the oven and allow the glasses to cool gradually in the oven.

Either way, you end up with something like this!
And if you're lucky, the colors match your kitchen towels perfectly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment