Saturday, September 28, 2013

KT Made It: Autumn Table Runner and Centerpiece

Fall is such a beautiful time of the year! The cool weather, the changing colors of the leaves, and the start of pumpkin season are a few of the reasons that I get excited for the end of September (not to mention the anticipation of the holiday season coming close behind). Even more exciting this fall is the prospect of sharing my seasonal crafting and baking with all of you! So to kick of the autumn season, I came up with something festive to put on display - a table runner and centerpiece for the kitchen table.

First, I started off making my table runner in a similar fashion to the one that I made back in August (Table Runner). 

What you need:
2 yards of decorative fall fabric
Thread to match
This is the fabric that I used, which was a gift from my mom who is a quilter and crafter herself. The larger panel in the fabric has leaves and acorns.

I started by cutting four panels, one for the length of the table and one for the width. I cut the panels so that there was 6 and 5/8" hanging off the edge (the 5/8" was the seam allowance). Each panel was 12" wide with 3/4" seam allowance added to either side. First, I put turned the fabric so that "right" sides were facing each other. At the end of the panels, I folded each piece of fabric into two triangles. Next, leaving one side of the panel open, I sewed one side, making my way around the opposite end and then up the other side of the panel, again leaving that end open. Then, I pulled the panel inside out so that the "right" side of the fabric was showing. After ironing the panel, I closed the open side by hemming along the edge of the end of the panel, and then continued to hem around the entire panel to give the edge a finished look. 
                                        



Now that the table runners were complete, I started my centerpieces.

What you need:

  • 1 large floral wreath, 2 small 
  • Assortment of autumn flowers and leaves
  • Floral wire
  • Felt
  • Hot glue
  • Candles
First, I used floral wire to connect the three wreaths, with the two small wreaths on the outside. 

Starting with the large wreath, I arranged the leaves and flowers around the wreath by starting at one side and making my way around the wreath in a counterclockwise fashion. Next, I moved on to the two smaller wreaths. 

Then, I cut out 3 circles from the brown felt and hot glued the circles to the backs of the wreaths. 
And the final step...

Candles!


No comments:

Post a Comment