Sunday, December 8, 2013

Kraftmas Day 8 - Fabric Poinsettia

So today was the first snow of the season! Very pretty yes, but it ruined my cookie baking plans with my mom and sister that I've been looking forward too. However, the silver lining is that this is the perfect weather to justify sitting inside on the couch crafting.

The inspiration for today's project was two-fold. First, I have wine bottles that I've been hoping to use for a holiday craft that I have yet to come up with an idea for. Second, I saw some beautiful poinsettias while getting groceries yesterday. And so, today's craft is a poinsettia made from fabric and floral wire to put into my bottles!

If you've read my blog before, you will know that I like to use whatever I have in the house before I go buy craft supplies. Therefore, I knew that I would either make my flowers from paper or fabric. Lucky for me, I ran into this AWESOME tutorial while googling for ideas. This is a tutorial for fabric poinsettias from CraftPassion.com. Everything that the instructions called for was already at my fingertips - e.g. fabric left over from my stockings, floral wire from the peacock roses that I made my little sister, and some artificial holly berries for the center of the flowers.

I took some crafting liberty while making my poinsettias, deviating from the instructions as I saw fit. But the original instructions are more simple than any that I could give, so if you are interested in trying these go to this link!

I made five large and three small petals for each flower, and one large leaf for each as well. Here is me making my petals below...















And here are my finished poinsettias.  I put one on each end of my coffee table, and now I know exactly what to do with the bottles - painted holiday vases!














No comments:

Post a Comment