Friday, August 9, 2013

KT Made It: Glass Center Piece and Table Runner

Looking at the white walls of our apartment and the feeling to be crafty inspired me to do a little DIY decorating. After spending way too much time on Pintrest, I found this inspiration for a glass centerpiece
I found glass bottles at the local Goodwill store, and chose different shapes and sizes. I bought enamel acrylic paint in different shades of blue from Michaels. Our kitchen colors are tan, turquoise and red. My plan was to use shades of blue/turquoise for the bottles and use red flowers to tie the theme. We have a tan tablecloth on our dinning room table, and I thought a blue and white patterned table runner would look nice!








These are the original glasses. 




My friend Jill and I poured the paint into the glassware. We had to add water to the paint to thin it, but were able to get it to the consistency we needed. We slowly turned the glassware to coat the inside of each with a different color.








We let the glasses sit, turning them every so often to make sure that every side was coated. The glasses took about 2 days to dry.





For the table runner, I spent probably an hour in Jo-Anne fabrics looking for the perfect pattern (I think I asked every single employee for their opinion). I have a lot of sewing experience, so I didn't use a pattern, especially since the design was simple. I chose a rectangular shape for the runner, and chose a  blue and white paisley fabric for the top and red for the bottom. I also used a thin iron-on interfacing between the two. 

I cut the appropriate size and shape for the runner in the two fabrics and the interfacing. I ironed the interfacing to the patterned fabric, then sewed the long sides of the fabrics together, leaving the short sides unsewn (is that a word?). After I turned the fabric to the correct side and ironed out the wrinkles, I decided to use the left over fabric to make a fringe on the ends hanging off the table. 











When I'd finally finished the table runner and the glassware was dry, I found artificial red roses to fill the vases!
 

The final product is exactly what I had envisioned!

My next project will be to create a tray of some sort to put the vases on. Look for upcoming "Katy Made It" postings to see what I've been able to come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment