Friday, September 13, 2013

KT Made It: Hanging Wall Photos

For the past few weeks I've received several texts from my BF and fellow craft-enthusiast, Stephanie, who continues to inspire me with her projects - and motivate me to take a few minutes to breathe some fresh air and do a little crafting of my own in the midst of my busy week.  So today I am really excited to share this week's crafting did-it: hanging wall photos! This project is something I've had on my mind for some time, especially as I've been studying on the couch with a blank white wall in front of me. And of course there is also the fact that we have zero pictures from our beautiful wedding anywhere in the apartment (oops!) These are SUPER easy to make - they involve only a few supplies and they take very little time to put together. A great present for a loved one for the kind-of-not-so-distant holidays (and my favorite time of year)!

What you need:

  • Three 8x10" art boards (you can also use canvases or wood blocks)
  • Three 8x10" printed photos. (I printed mine on glossy paper at a local Walmart)
  • Modge podge
  • Modge podge brush applicator (a paint brush or sponge works just as well)
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue


















First, apply modge podge to the surface to which you are going to attach your photo.









Next, center your photo onto the art board so that the edges line up. I used a tissue under my hand and pressed the photo onto the board to make sure that it was glued on without any wrinkles or bubbles (and avoided putting too many finger prints on the picture!).

Using your applicator, apply the modge podge to the photograph in even strokes. I used vertical strokes, and applied two coats, allowing each to dry before applying the next.






While the modge podge was drying, I painted the two letters I bought (one more me, and one for Eric) that I planned to attach to ribbon from which the photos were hanging. Our wedding colors were brown and red, so I painted the letters brown (since I had red ribbon).
 

 To hang the photos, you need two pieces of ribbon per photo, each ~2ft long to be able to tie a nice bow. Glue the end of the ribbon 1-2" from either side of the back of the board.












To finish, tie the ends into a bow and hang on a nail or push-pin! I hot glued the letters into the bow for a final romantic touch :)






































Easy, fun, and beautiful! I'm thinking of adding two more...there's still a little room left on the wall and a lot of pictures left to hang.

Happy crafting!

1 comment: