Saturday, September 7, 2013

KT Cooked It: Breakfast Veggie Egg Bake

Breakfast is unquestionably my favorite meal of the day! So after my run this morning, I scavenged the refrigerator looking for some ingredients to make something better than the protein shakes and apples that I've been eating for breakfast all week. Lucky for me there were still some veggies in the produce bin that desperately needed to be used, and a lot of eggs available too. Instead of going for an omelette (boring!), I decided to make an egg bake like my mom does every Christmas morning. I mean, how hard could it be? As it turned out, not hard at all, and super yummy!

I started off with some baby zucchini (about 10 of them), 15 cherry tomatoes, and 1/4 of a red onion. I julienned the zucchini (cut them into thin, long strips similar to matchsticks), cut the tomatoes in half, and sliced the onion.

Next, I sauteed the veggies in 1tsp of olive oil. I added ~1tsp each of garlic salt, onion powder, and freeze dried dill weed to the pan for some flavor. I cooked the veggies until the zucchini was tender.












In each of two 9" round pans I mixed 4 whole eggs and 1 cup of egg whites. Then I divided the sauteed vegetables between the two pans, and added 1cup of frozen chopped spinach to each. I also added 1/2 cup of fat free mozzarella cheese to one of the pans. Finally, I baked them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes/until they were cooked all the way through.





















Easy and delicious with left-overs to spare for the week!

Happy cooking, crafting, eating, and living!

No comments:

Post a Comment