Sunday, August 11, 2013

KT Made It: Peacock Paper Rose Bouquet


This project has been a labor of love over the past few days, and it is a gift for my little sister who loves everything peacock – patterns, feathers, earrings, etc. With a little inspiration (and a lot of paper cutting and gluing), I turned a simple paper rose pattern into a peacock paper rose bouquet!

What you need:
  • Paper rose pattern (The Elli Blog).
  • 8x11 cardstock/pattern paper of your choosing (I made 6 roses, 3 in peacock patterns and 3 in shades of blue cardstock)
  • Hot glue gun 
  • Paper scissors
  • Pencil or paint brush to curl the petals
  • Floral cloth wire
  • Feathers
  • Satin ribbon
After printing the template for the roses (see materials), I cut out the pattern pieces and traced them onto the paper. For the peacock patterns, I found images online that I copied into a word document and scaled the images to the size that I liked. I traced the pattern onto the paper (except for the leaves - I did not use leaves for the bouquets so I did not trace that template)
For the cardstock, I used solid blue but then painted the petals with my water color pencils to give each petal a spectrum of blues, greens and purples once I finished tracing the pattern onto the paper. 









At this point, I simply followed the instructions from Elli Blog, e.g. cutting out the 7 pattern pieces, curling the ends of the petals around my paint brush, hot gluing each piece separately and then putting them all together. In the end, I ended up with my 6 roses!














The assembly of the roses onto their stems took some improvisation. I began by folding a piece of 3" wide cardstock in half length wise. In the corner of the fold I cut a 1/4 circle so that when I unfolded the paper it was a half circle. 

 I cut a vertical slit half-way into the center of the circle so the I could insert the floral wire securely.










I cut the floral wire to be 10" for each stem, and bent about 1/2" at the end to glue to the piece of cardstock which I made into the shape of a funnel for the roses to fit into.
Then I started adding the feathers!

And voila! A peacock paper rose ready to be arranged in a bouquet! 
















And 5 more roses later...
  











































This project was certainly time consuming, but absolutely worth every minute!  Can't wait to see the look on my sister's face when I give her this bouquet and tell her that I made it :)

2 comments:

  1. Great job Katy! I especially love the peacock patterned paper that you printed and used.

    :-) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jill! The patterned paper roses are my favorites too!

    ReplyDelete