Sunday, August 18, 2013

KT Painted It: Pop Art

Drawing and painting are two of my favorite past times, particularly using watercolor pencils. Unfortunately, like any skill, art takes practice...which is not something I do often. Given the fact that I only have one week left of my vacation from school, it seemed to me that it was time to dust off the art set and workout some of those artistic muscles.

Well, it was a rusty start, but after a few sketches of flowers I decided to try a type of artwork that I have never attempted: Pop art. Pop art began as a visual art movement of the 20th century made famous by Andy Warhol who painted the notable Campbell's Soup Cans and Marilyn Monroe pop art portrait. 
 





I cannot really describe my process because I really had none, other than to look at various pop art pieces. I chose two photos of iconic figures, the first of Bette Davis and the second of Audrey Hepburn.  I knew that this would be challenging since I am NOT a portrait artist, but this blog is all about trying something new, even if I turn out to need some practice at it or if I flat out suck (which would certainly be the case if any of these experiences involved sports!)

In this end, these were my paintings. I had a lot of fun making them, and felt completely inspired to keep practicing this form, as well as to keep trying new types of art!
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment