Sunday, January 25, 2015

KT Made It: Baby Romper

As mentioned in my last post, I recently bought a few patterns to make baby clothes for our little girl on the way!

Today's post is how I made a romper using Simplicity pattern 1600. The pattern includes two rompers, a bikini, panties and a bonnet. The pattern is sized XXS-L. I chose to make the XS pattern, which is supposed to fit a 7-13 pound infant.

Here are the two fabrics and the additional notions (e.g. thread, single fold bias tape, elastic, and velcro) that I have to make the rompers.  In this post I will show you how I made the pink polka dot romper.


 

Here are the pattern pieces cut out. They include the front bodice, front facing, back and sides of the bodice, shoulder straps, and ruffle.


The pattern instructions start with the four ruffles that go on the back of the romper. Sewing includes stitching to gather up the edge of the ruffle, and a hem on the opposite side. After each ruffle was gathered, I pinned the ruffle on the back bodice. Starting with the bottom ruffle, each ruffle was sewn onto the back bodice. 



The next step was to make the straps and attach them to the bodice, seen below. 

The next few steps were to attach the bias tape to the unfinished edge of the back bodice. After attaching the bias tape to make the casing, the waist elastic was inserted. 




After the back was complete, I attached it to the front. Then the front facing was attached. 
Almost done! Next, I stitched the crotch seam and then used the bias tape to make the casing for the leg elastic on both sides. 

Once the leg elastic was finished, the last step was to attach the velcro to the straps and bodice. And here it is!
























This is a great pattern! Very easy to follow and the romper is oh-so-cute! Similar to the felt booties that I made, it seems a little big for a 7-13 pound infant, but then again I have no frame of reference. Besides, if it doesn't fit her at that weight, she will grow into eventually.

Check back for my next post to see how I made a matching bonnet!

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on this same pattern. This is my first project with patterns so I am lost. With each piece do I double the cutout?
    Please help! Thank you 😊

    ReplyDelete