Wednesday, February 18, 2015

KT Made It: Hair Bow and Headband Organizer

Now that we are only 15 weeks away from welcoming our little baby girl, I'm certainly feeling the heat to start preparing to bring her home, a task complicated by the fact that we are going to be moving the month before our due date to a yet undetermined apartment on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Yikes!

Not only do I need to prepare myself for taking care of her (something I've accepted I will never be completely prepared for), but I'm hoping to make a few things for the nursery that, at this time, is merely a figment on my imagination. And in my mind it is purple and turquoise, and it sure is cute!

Headbands are all the rage these days for little Princesses, and I'm definitely on board to have a few for our little girl. However, I am more of a Bow Head, so I'm hoping she has enough hair for me to put all of the cute bows I've imagined into her hair! And, of course, every collection of headwear needs to have a place for organization and display. So, on a recent snow day home from work, I took on a new project inspired by one of the way-too-many pins on my Pinterest board "Baby Girl Stuff!" to make an organizer for all of the ribbons and bows that, I imagine, I will hopefully someday have a chance to make for her.

I love the idea of using a picture frame for a hair bow organizer! This one comes from Michael's - it is a craft frame, not a picture frame, and I found it in one of the aisles with the wood supplies.
















I painted the frame turquoise first. I thought about putting a purple border around the edge, but I ended up deciding against it for the time being. Once the paint was dry, I used hard gloss modge podge to glaze the frame for a finished touch.














I then hot glued strands of purple satin ribbon to the back of the frame, which will be the place to hang the hair bows.















Next, I painted the wood pegs that I bought, which will be the place to hang a few headbands. I painted them purple and turquoise. I then cut out a circle of a piece of purple and turquoise gingham pattern scrapbook paper and glued it to the top of one side of each peg. Here are the finished pegs:













I used the same scrapbook paper and traced around the three letters I bought for her initials. After cutting out the paper, I used modge podge to apply the paper to the letters and then glazed over top of the paper as well. Here are the finished letters:











Finally, I hot glued the begs and letters to the front of the frame, and then used the same satin ribbon to create a hanger for the frame. And here it is! I'm still going back-and-forth about adding a purple border around the outside, but I really love this hair bow and headband organizer, and I cannot wait to make a few pieces for our baby girl to hang on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment