Sunday, February 1, 2015

KT Made It: Baby Bonnet

Happy February!

As promised in my last post, today's post is about the baby bonnet I made to go along with the romper that I shared previously. Again, this is pattern #1600 from Simplicity, which you can get online or at any Jo-Ann fabrics.

Here are my pattern pieces. The pattern uses two of each piece, and I used the floral fabric I bought for a second romper as the lining.












































In addition, the pattern calls for a piece of lightweight fusible interfacing for the bonnet rim, shown below.




After the pattern pieces were cut out, I started sewing my baby bonnet. The pattern instructions were easy to follow, and luckily there were not very many steps. Here you can see the fabric below, as well as the way in which the back of the bonnet and crown were sewn together.
Here is the finished bonnet:
After finishing the bonnet, I decided it was a little plain, so I made some fabric yo-yos to add to the side. 

First, I made two circles of the lining fabric using a glass one large than the other. 
Next, I sewed a running stitch around the edge of the circle. One end of the thread should be knotted so that the thread does not come out.  Make sure you make the running stitch far enough from the edge so that if the fabric frays the stitches will not come out. 
After you've completed the running stitch, draw the free end of the thread and the knotted end together. Tie the thread in several knots. 


I added a few pearl beads to the center of the yo-yos before attaching them to the left side of the bonnet. 
And here is the finished product! 


No comments:

Post a Comment