Sunday, November 10, 2013

KT Made It: Decorative Wine Bottles (Part I)

Hello again!

As promised, I'm back with my next craft using the left over materials from my up-cycled coffee table - e.g. scrapbook paper and paint. I'm excited to share this project because I have been collecting wine bottles for quite some time now, and I've finally managed to come up with a project for them! I'm calling this post Part I because I have several bottles left, which I already have an idea for decorating for Christmas (look for my ambitious 25 Days of Kraftmas starting December 1st)

For this project, I used three wine bottles that I soaked in warm water to remove the labels and adhesive - some scrubbing was involved. Each bottle was decorated differently, but with the same color scheme (orange and blue). I'm planning to use the bottles as vases, I think. But they also look nice without anything in them.

For the first bottle, I decided to continue with a similar pattern giving a quilted look similar to my coffee table. Luckily, I had quite a few left over scrapbook paper triangles. To make the triangles, I cut 2x2" squares and then cut the square diagonally to create the triangle. The pattern for the bottle was simple. I started off applying modge podge to the bottle itself as you can see below.
 
















Next, I applied the first column of triangles oriented with the point of the triangle toward the top of the bottle. I started from the bottom, overlapping the tip of the triangles. For the second row, I moved adjacent to the right and changed the orientation of the triangles so that the tip was pointed downward. I repeated the pattern for the next column, switching back to the original orientation ... then the next flipped again..etc. until the entire bottle was covered. Around the neck of the bottle I used a solid blue color.
After I finished applying all of the paper, I put a layer of modge podge over top. 
For the other two bottles, I decided to go with a solid background since the first bottle is pretty busy. First, I painted one bottle white using acrylic paint. I decided to use the blue paper for this bottle, and the orange for the other which I painted blue. The orange on the white background was a little too bright for me. Knowing I was going to do a more complicated design for the blue wine bottle, I decided to make a more simple design for this one. I simply used four overlapping stripes, one of each of the blue scrapbook papers left from my table. 
 

For the last bottle, I started off by painting the whole bottle blue using the same acrylic paint that I used for the table. I actually liked this paint much better than the brand used for the white. The white paint was a generic acrylic paint. The blue was Martha Stewart's Satin Acrylic Paint. It was much smoother on the glass than the other, so I'd definitely use this brand again with glass painting. The plan was to do a cascade of hearts in each of the four patterns of orange paper that I had. I started off by cutting a piece of each paper about 4" wide and the length of the paper. I then folded the paper length-wise and drew 1/2 of the heart shape along the fold so that when I got the paper I could open it up and the shape would be symmetric. I made various sizes, and also cut out the center of some of the hearts. After cutting out all of the shapes, I began applying them to the bottle using (what else?!) modge podge. I applied a final coat of modge podge over the hearts at the end to keep them on the bottle.

 


And here are my three decorative wine bottles, sitting in my increasingly fashionable living room!


























No comments:

Post a Comment