Sunday, January 18, 2015

KT Made It: Felt Baby Booties

On my way to get my hair cut the other night, I stopped into Jo-Ann Fabrics to browse the aisles for some crafting inspiration. As fate would have it,  I walked into a sewing pattern sale - Simplicity patterns 5 for $5! If you have ever bought sewing patterns before, you will know how big of a deal this is. If not, I will tell you that patterns are not cheap. Then add in the cost of fabric and notions, and you can end up spending more on a clothing sewing project than you'd be paying if you just went and bought a similar item in the store. Of course, it's always a lot more rewarding when you can make something for someone else or yourself.

Today I'm going to share with you a review of pattern #2867, which is for three different styles of felt baby booties. The pattern is one size only and recommends wool felt, pre-ironed and washed.  There are two or three pieces for each of shoes. You can see the cut out pieces below.

 
Instead of wool felt, I purchased polyester felt from the local craft store. I brought my cut out pattern pieces with me to the store and found that one sheet of 9"x12" felt was the perfect amount for a pair of shoes in each of the three styles. The felt cost approximately 30 cents. I picked my colors to make two of each style. The first two styles call for one skein each of two different colors of embroidery thread, while the third calls for one skein in one color and two in the second. The embroidery thread cost approximately 40 cents per skein. That means less than $2 per pair of shoes, which is a sweet deal! 

Here are my color combinations.
Here are a pair of booties in style A. These were pretty simple to make and turned out very cute. I made this pair in tan with purple and green embroidery thread. 






And here is a pair of style B booties! These were a little more detailed with the embroidery, but still simple.






Overall, I think that this was an easy pattern that anyone can follow with a little patience! The embroidery stitch instructions were pretty good in both the pictures and description. There was only one stitch (the lazy-daisy stitch) that I had to find a video of on YouTube to fully understand how to make it. 

My one and only complaint is that these are one size fits all. Now, I don't have anything to go by other than a pair of socks for a 0-3 month infant, but these booties seem a little larger than I imaged. The pattern does not specifically state what size they would fit, so this is simply a guess. I may have to try to put a pair on one of my niece's feet to get a better idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment