Thursday, September 4, 2014

KT Baked It: Homemade Pizza Dough

For the month of September, I've decided to devote my food posts to bread! Ah yes, that dreaded yet delicious food that so many of us avoid when we are trying to be carb-conscious. Well, this month I am poo-pooing on that approach to life and keeping in mind the motto "Everything in Moderation." Besides, it's one thing to eat bread that you buy at the grocery store containing ingredients that you cannot even pronounce versus bread that you make from scratch, which I have never done before.

This week's baking post is something that I've always wanted to make: pizza dough. The recipe for this dough comes from the Kitchenaid Mixer Best-Loved Recipes cookbook. Now if you do not have a Kitchenaid mixer, do not fear because I don't either, which is why this will be as rewarding for you as if was for me when you get in touch with your inner Pioneer Woman and knead the dough with your hands. Yup, it's happening. 

What you need:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon corn meal

First, dissolve the yeast in warm water.

Next, add the salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cups of flour. I added my flour slowly, stirring the dough between each addition. 

















Continue adding the remaining flour in 1/2 cup increments. At this point, you're going to be using your hands to knead the dough. It took time, but I put in my due diligence and eventually had a nice mound of pizza dough.



Next, I greased another bowl with olive oil and placed my dough into the bowl. Cover the dough with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for about one hour or until the dough as doubled in bulk.















Here is my dough, a huge accomplishment! Next, punch down the dough. Grease a pizza pan (I used a rectangular pan) with some olive oil, then sprinkle the pan with cornmeal. Press the dough across the pan.
















And voila! You've just made your very own pizza dough ready to bake for a yummy Friday night dinner. You can use whatever toppings that you like, of course. I made a Margherita-style pizza with a bag of italian blend shredded cheese, fresh spinach, sliced tomato and basil. After you've added your toppings, bake the your pizza at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.



You can find this and many other recipes in the KitchenAid Best-Loved Recipes cookbook, available here!



No comments:

Post a Comment