Sunday, September 14, 2014

KT Baked It: Cornbread

September and October are possibly my two favorite months of the year as the leaves on the trees change to their beautiful spectrum of orange, red and yellow while the temperature becomes cooler (and I can bring out my sweater dresses and boots).

And, of course, I can't forget to mention the football and another year that Eric and I hope that our Redskins' fortune will turn in favor of a championship team...we are very patient people. Whether or not our team can get it together, we can always look forward to some great fall football food.

As promised in my first baking post this month, I've dedicated my baking ambitions to bread-making. With the fall weather coming as promised by the cool temperature outside this morning, it only seems fitting to enjoy the weather and football this Sunday paired with some cornbread and chili. You can find my favorite chili recipe here, and in the meantime, let's make some cornbread! This recipe comes from FoodNetwork chef, Cat Cora. I made just a few adjustments which turned out great!

What you need:
















5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup almond milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey

First, in a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and then set aside

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt.

















Next, whisk the eggs with the melted butter.















The original recipe calls for buttermilk, which I did not have. So I made my own by mixing 1 cup of almond milk with 2 tsp of lemon juice, which I let sit for about a minute before pouring the mixture with the eggs and butter. Whisk all the ingredients, then add the honey and mix.

Mix together your wet and dry ingredients.


The original recipe uses a square baking pan, which I also did not have, so I used a regular bread pan.

Bake your bread in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

























Allow your bread to cool before enjoying with a side of hot chili!






















And, of course, don't forget to clean up before you sit on the couch all afternoon enjoying football with you hubby and cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment