Tuesday, November 8, 2016

KT Made It: Satin Ribbon Flower Clip


After a year and a half of living in our apartment, I finally made the opportunity to go through my craft desk (i.e. the pile of all of my craft and art supplies piled in an entirely organized way onto, beneath and around my desk in our study.) In doing so, I realized that I have a lot of supplies that have been sitting around unused with no craft to call a home. Ribbon, felt, fabric, watercolor paint, ink, beads all collecting dust. Around the same time I started going through my boards on Pinterest where I had over 1000 pins of ideas and projects that I have never attempted. Well that ends today! I set a new goal to make one craft a month (yes, we aren't being overly ambitious) using my craft supply stock to attempt to make one of my Pinned projects.





This month's craft is from my Ribbon and Bows board. I made this board thinking I was going to make Rachel a bunch of cute headbands and hair bows when she was a newborn. Needless to say, she is still waiting for those hair accessories! Well, wait no more, Rachel! This satin flower was easy to make.

What you need:
1 1/2inch satin ribbon
Matching thread, sewing needle
Felt
Hairclip
Hot glue

Cut seven pieces of ribbon, each 5 inches long. I used a lighter to set the edges to prevent them from fraying.


Take one piece of ribbon and fold like so. I pinned the bottom together to prevent it from unfolding. Do this for all seven pieces of ribbon. These are the petals.




















Next, use a long strand of thread and your needle to gather the petals onto the same strand of thread. Make sure to knot the end of the thread so that you don't pull it through! After you have finished the stitches through all of the petals, gather the stiches by pulling the petals together on the strand of thread. Sew the sides of the end petals together to create a circle of ribbon petals.

















I made a second flower that was smaller using 3 inch long pieces of ribbon. I put the second, smaller flower onto the first. I then glued a pearl bead into the middle of the flower. Finally, I attached the flower to a hair clip using hot glue and a felt circle.










No comments:

Post a Comment