Sunday, November 1, 2015

KT Made It: Sweet and Sour Meatballs


Happy November! So very excited for the upcoming holidays, and no better way to get things rolling than with some comfort food. This is a much loved dish that my mom would make throughout my childhood. I have not had these meatballs in years, and I have never made them myself so preparing and eating these today was quite a treat!

What you need:

For the meatballs...
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1/4 cup bread crumbs (I made my own by toasting a slice of bread and then pulsing in the food processor)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbl olive oil
1 egg
1 tsp minced garlic

For the sauce...
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbl soy sauce
2 Tbl white vinegar
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 can pineapple chunks



First, combine bread crumb, salt and pepper, egg, oil and minced garlic with ground turkey or beef. 

Take a heaping tablespoon of the meat mixture to make your meatballs. Makes about 25.

Cook meatballs in a preheated over at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. 

Now it's time for the sauce! Chop your peppers (and onions if your like), and saute them in olive oil in a large sauce pan until tender. 
Add the remaining ingredients to the sauce pan...


Finally, add the meatballs and let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes before serving over a bed of rice. Bon appetite! 

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I am a little bit hungry now, so this dish looks gorgeous to me:) However, I am sure, that I would feel the same even if I was full.

    ReplyDelete