Saturday, January 25, 2014

KT Made It: Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

For the past two weeks I have been having chocolate sweet potato pancakes for breakfast, and I was hoping to share the recipe with you foodies out there today but I ran out of sweet potatoes! Shucks. What's a hungry girl to do? As usual, you've got to make use of what you have in your fridge. Lucky for me, I had some gala apples needing to be eaten! So, I decided to whip up some apple cinnamon pancakes. Yes, this is an original recipe ;)

What you need:
1 large gala apple
2 Tbl ground flax meal
1 egg
6 Tbl egg whites
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

First, I peeled my apple with a potato peeler, and then cut the apple into smaller pieces. Like my mini blender, my food processor is also teeny-tiny...gotta adapt!




























After pulsing the food processor enough to finely chop the apples, I added my cinnamon and nutmeg. I continued to process the apples until it was almost at the consistency of an apple sauce.















Next, I added the flax meal, egg and egg whites. I also ended up added about 2 tsp of tapioca flour to thicken the batter. If I had any coconut flour on hand, I would have added that instead I think.














Turn your skillet on medium-high heat. I use coconut oil to cook my pancakes because it makes them a little crispy, which I love. I used a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop the pancake batter into the frying pan.














Ta-da! The batter makes four pancakes. I whipped up some egg whites on the side, and Eric and I enjoyed our delicious apple cinnamon pancakes for breakfast.
Happy cooking! 

P.S. I think I figured out how to open up the comments section of my blog to everyone, not just Google+ users, so feel free to write a message, suggestion, requests for cooking or crafts, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment