Friday, January 24, 2014

KT Made It: Avocado Dressing

So my sister and I had a discussion about the fact that salads can be deadly when you're watching your food choices because dressings can be super unhealthy (especially the good ones, ie RANCH). One solution is to make your own dressing - that way you're truly in control of the ingredients.

All calories are not created equal, and all fats are not created equal. As we know, fats are considered a concentrated source of calories. Why? Because each gram of fat provides a higher number of calories compared to either carbohydrates or protein. Furthermore, there are different types of fats and some are better than others. Specifically, saturated fats that come from animal products including milk and creams used in many of my favorite dressings are much less healthy than unsaturated fats, which come from plants. Examples of foods containing healthy, unsaturated fats include olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, flax meal, as well as nuts and seeds. And then of course there is the issue of Omega 3 vs. Omega 6 fats...but this isn't a nutrition lesson (although I'm happy to go off on a soap box if requested), I'm just trying to show you how to make some dressing!

I had this idea that I could use an avocado and some olive oil as the base for the dressing, and add some spices and herbs...and here is what I came up with!

What you need:
1 ripe avocado
3 Tbl Olive oil
2 Tbl Lime juice
1/4 cup almond milk
Dill, Chipotle seasoning, garlic salt to taste

First, you need a ripe avocado, which seemed to be a nonexistant commodity when I went to the grocery store a few days ago. No problem! To ripen your avocados, stick them in a paper bag for a few days. Works like a charm every time! They should be a little soft when you press on them, and the stem should pop out of the fruit very easily. Doesn't it look yummy when you slice it open??















In a blender, add the olive oil, lime juice and your avocado. I cut the avocado into small squares while it is still in the peel, and then spoon the fruit out. It's easier to blend in my mini mixer that way, but if you have a high powered big girl mixer, you'll be set! I added the almond milk as an after thought because my blender did not want to mix the other three ingredients very well. Luckily that turned out to be a good choice.

After you've mixed the avocado and your other "wet" ingredients, you can begin adding your seasonings. I added 1tsp each of dill and chipotle seasoning, and 1/2 tsp of garlic salt. Once blended, I ended up adding a little more of each until it had the taste that I wanted. I also added 1/2tsp of Stevia to sweeten it just enough.















The recipe made 8oz of dressing, which I am planning to put on some salad with the chipotle chicken that I made in the crock pot. Mmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment