Thursday, November 27, 2014

KT Did It: Pecan Pie Bites

Happy Thanksgiving!

Woke up extra early this morning to get to the gym for that pre-feast workout, and it is a good thing too because I can expect an extravagant, delicious Thanksgiving meal at my sister's house this year. Between my mom and my sister, all of my family favorite dishes will be there including mom's cream cheese mashed potatoes, cheese creamed corn and cranberry jello salad...mmm!

And, of course, I cannot fail to mention the desserts - my grandmother's cherry cheese pie (made by my brother this year) and my mom's famous pumpkin cheese cake.

For my contribution to this year's feast, I will be bringing creamed spinach and, not surprisingly, a dessert!

Knowing that there would already be several desserts displayed, I wanted to make something that would hopefully not have too many leftovers. I also have a weakness for pecan pie. So, instead of making a large pecan pie, I decided to make bite sized pies. And here is how I did it!

What you need:

2 packages of frozen filo pastry cups (30 individual cups)
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon of butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt


First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the chopped pecans onto a pan and roast the pecans for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.












In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and corn syrup.












Add the egg, melted butter, vanilla and a pinch of salt to the mixture.
























Finally, add the pecans.












Fill each pastry cup with about 1 tablespoon of the pecan mixture.
























Bake on a cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes, then allow the mini pies to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.












These are really easy to make, and you can double the recipe for more if you choose.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with time spent with loved ones! And be sure to check out my blog during December for Kraftmas 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment